Dear Students, Faculty and Staff,
COVID-19 cases are continuing to decline rapidly across the United States.
With recent changes to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) masking recommendations, this week’s OC CARES communication includes important changes to the OC CARES Pandemic Response Plan masking policy that will impact YOU directly:
- Faculty/Staff May Still Require Masks in Instructional Setting/Private Workspace
- It’s Our Shared Responsibility to Show RESPECT to ALL
- Adjustments to the OC CARES Pandemic Response Plan Will be Made as Needed
Faculty/Staff May Still Require Masks in Instructional Setting/Private Workspace
With the continued decline in COVID-19 cases and in keeping with the recent changes to the CDC recommendations, masking is optional in all public campus settings, with the following two exceptions:
- Any faculty member may still require masking during their class/instruction time.
- All employees may still require masking in their private workspace.
If a faculty or staff member does not communicate directly to you that masking is required, you may go without a mask if you choose to do so.
What You Need to Do
- Continue to carry a mask with you at all times, should you be asked to wear a mask in a classroom/instructional setting or an employee’s private workspace. Masks are still available for free at building entrances. Free KN-95 masks are also available from the Health and Wellness Center, Mott 212.
- Determine which of your instructors require that masks still be worn. You may have instructors who will not require masks and others who will require that masks continue to be worn.
- If your instructor requires that masks be worn, demonstrate Individual and Social Responsibility and wear your mask.
- Your instructor may no longer require that a mask be worn, however, you may choose to wear a mask and are welcome to do so.
- If an employee asks that you wear a mask in their private workspace, wear your mask.
Failure to Adhere to Masking Expectations
Failure to adhere to the stated masking expectations by students or employees may result in disciplinary action, as outlined in the OC CARES Pandemic Response Plan.
- Students may be subject to discipline up to and including expulsion and loss of money paid for room and board. No tuition or housing refunds will be provided to students refusing to comply with the terms of the OC CARES Pandemic Response Plan.
- Employees will be subject to supervisory correction and/or discipline up to and including termination of employment.
Masking Required After Isolation or Quarantine Periods
As outlined in the OC CARES Pandemic Response Plan, all individuals, regardless of vaccination status, must wear a mask upon returning from isolation or quarantine periods.
It’s Our Shared Responsibility to Show RESPECT to ALL
We ask that you be respectful of everyone’s individual choice on whether or not to wear a mask while on campus.
Individual and Social Responsibility means we respect equally all members of the The University of Olivet family, whether a friend, classmate, faculty or staff member. Respect means to treat others with care, honor and politeness. It also means kindness, understanding and flexibility and no judgement.
It is important to recognize that some members of the OC family have chronic illness or are immunocompromised, putting them at higher risk for poor outcomes from COVID-19 and benefit from others masking in an indoor setting. The student, faculty member or staff person wearing a mask may be receiving treatment for cancer, be taking immunosuppressive drugs, have an inherited disease that affects the immune system, or have any number of issues that put their health at risk.
Demonstrate Respect Equally
- If you are asked to wear a mask in a classroom, instructional area or private workspace, show respect and wear a mask.
- If someone chooses to continue to wear a mask in any setting, show respect and do not comment or judge their choice.
- Conversely, if you choose to wear a mask in a public space, you must demonstrate respect toward those sharing the public space who choose not to wear a mask and not comment or judge their choice.
Adjustments to the OC CARES Pandemic Response Plan Will be Made as Needed
The University of Olivet will continue to employ best practices to aid in maintaining a safe environment. Adjustments to the current policy will be made as needed.
“All I’m askin’ is for a little respect … R-E-S-P-E-C-T, take care of TCB“ — Aretha Franklin, “Respect”