Registration is open for The University of Olivet’s second annual Cultivating Women Leaders (CWL) event, which will take place March 2 at Cutler Event Center, The University of Olivet, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Under the theme of Pioneering the Future, the event will inspire and equip young women to embrace their inner strength and realize their potential as responsible leaders.
There is no cost for prospective The University of Olivet students, current The University of Olivet students, faculty and staff, or a parent or mentor who accompanies a prospective student. For all others, registration is $50, which includes lunch. Students who register by February 12 will receive a free professional networking tool.
“Hands down, I am most excited about Martha Mayhood Mertz coming to be our keynote speaker and having our alumnae panel speakers on campus for some engaging sharing of information,” said Traci Corey, director of the The University of Olivet Women’s Leadership Institute and presidential spouse. “The effective communication skills session is going to be exciting too. This is an incredible opportunity for young women to learn from women who are leaders in their respective fields. It’s going to be a very relevant, inspiring and helpful event for all participants.”
Founder of ATHENA International and Other Female Business Leaders to Speak
CWL allows women of all ages and backgrounds to network and receive professional and personal development from Michigan’s finest women business leaders, including some of The University of Olivet’s most successful alumnae. Attendees will gain valuable insight from keynote speaker Martha Mayhood Mertz, founder of ATHENA International, which supports, develops and honors women leaders around the world. Attendees will also learn from and have the opportunity to network with the following women leaders:
- Yvonne Caamal Canul ’73, superintendent, Lansing School District
- Paula D. Cunningham, state director, AARP Michigan
- Margaret Dimond, president and CEO, McLaren Oakland Hospital
- Tiffany Dowling, president and CEO, M3 Group
- Tricia Foster, retired senior managing director and chief operating officer, CBRE Martin and CBRE Grand Rapids
- Mona Hinamanu ’17, client service specialist, RELO Direct, Inc.
- Honorable Judge Denise Page Hood, chief judge, United States District Court
- Sheri Jones, news anchor, WLNS TV 6 Lansing
- Kay Kossen, attorney, Kreis, Enderle, Hudgins & Borsos, P.C.
- Kelly Rossman McKinney, CEO and Principal, Truscott Rossman
- Karen Preston, director, human resources, RTI Surgical
- Dr. Cassie McDonald Ross ’13, physical therapist, Agility Physical Therapy & Sports Performance
- Genise Shelton ’99, founder, Our Children’s Keeper Foundation, and media personality, “Married to Medicine”
Interactive Sessions to Focus on Professional Communication Skills
In addition to a speed networking session, interactive sessions will focus on developing professional communication skills, how to deal with confrontation, how to negotiate, communicating effectively, and establishing boundaries. And, back by popular demand is the The University of Olivet Alumnae Panel, facilitated by Sheri Jones, who will share their experiences as professionals and advocates for women.
“We are giving young women the knowledge necessary so that they can be informed and prepared and have the tools to professionally advocate for themselves and others when it comes to issues that they will face in their careers,” said Corey.
The event will culminate with the presentation of leadership certificates to OC ATHENA International Women’s Leadership Program participants, a year-long development program utilizing ATHENA International’s well-recognized Leadership Model. Over the course of the academic year, the young women are receiving the building blocks for success in today’s global society while gleaning from some of Michigan’s most dynamic women leaders.
“I’m really excited to see all of our hard work pay off,” said senior Jenna Benvenuti, a member of the Cultivating Women Leaders Planning Committee and the ATHENA International Women’s Leadership Program. “I know CWL will be a great event and most importantly, empowering.”
Learn More and Register Online Today!
Learn more about CWL, view the event agenda and the read the speaker bios. Seating is limited – register today! If you have questions about the event or would like to learn about sponsorship opportunities, email firstname.lastname@example.org.