THANK YOU to the majority of students who demonstrate what shared responsibility means by accepting, understanding and adhering to the current protocol requiring that masks be worn in all public spaces on campus, including hallways and in classrooms. YOU are making a difference. YOU are helping to keep yourself, classmates, teammates, faculty members and staff safe and healthy.
For those of you who choose not to mask up properly, please take a moment to review the The University of Olivet Compact and what it means to be socially responsible. We also ask that you reflect on what it means to live, learn and work in a shared community.
This week’s OC CARES communication contains the following important information:
- Medical Excuse Required for Excused Absence Due to COVID-19
- Quarantine Policy Applies to Anyone Who Tests Positive For COVID-19
- Four Words
Medical Excuse Required for Excused Absence Due to COVID-19
Absence from class due to COVID-19 related quarantine or isolation requirements is considered an excused absence from class for medical reasons. If you are unvaccinated and are identified as a close contact to someone who tests positive for COVID-19 or if you test positive for COVID-19 (whether or not you are vaccinated), the following established expectations must be followed:
- Contact the Department of Residence Life to receive a medical excuse note, which will include the expected date of return to classes.
- Notify and submit the official Department of Residence Life medical excuse note to all of your instructors to ensure your medical absence is excused. Failure to do so will result in an unexcused absence.
- Make arrangements with your instructors for the completion of assignments missed due to these absences. Remote instruction may not be an option; not all professors will be using Zoom.
Click here to read more about the quarantine and isolation expectations.
Quarantine Policy Applies to Anyone Who Tests Positive For COVID-19
Thank you for understanding that the health and safety of our entire campus community is our shared responsibility. Therefore, as outlined in the OC CARES Pandemic Response Plan (and in alignment with CDC guidance), any student or employee who tests positive for COVID-19, vaccinated or unvaccinated, is required to isolate off campus.
- We understand that this policy is not ideal and seems unfair to those of you who have been fully vaccinated.
- Our primary goal is to keep the The University of Olivet community safe and healthy. Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 risks spreading the virus to others.
- The Delta variant of COVID-19 is highly contagious. Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 continues to be the best defense against COVID-19; however, in some cases fully vaccinated individuals may still be infected with the virus, which is why we require that all persons who test positive for COVID-19 isolate, regardless of vaccination status.
Four Words: Mask Up. Thank You.
Thank you for being understanding, kind, flexible and patient with the current masking requirement. This protocol was put in place to keep you safe. No one likes to wear a mask. The policy is not to annoy, harass, oppress or control you. We just want to stay healthy and to do all we can to help end this pandemic. It’s that simple.
“Watch your actions, they become your habits. Watch your habits, they become your character.” — Vince Lombardi