Thank you for respecting the need and urgency for the The University of Olivet family to pause our in-class learning in an effort to flatten the curve of new COVID-19 cases. Our efforts demonstrate our shared responsibility to remaining on campus together and to keeping each other safe.
While we have paused in-person classes, we have not paused your residential college experience. You may certainly leave your living space, so long as you abide by the following strict guidelines, that we all agreed to when we signed the OC CARES Pledge in August:
- Students are expected to remain on campus, unless there is an urgent need that requires them to be off campus.
- Wear a mask at all times when not in your private living space or in the presence of anyone other than a roommate. It is tempting for any of us to take a break from our masks, especially with our closest friends. Mask wearing adherence is essential to prevent a continued increase in cases.
- Physically distance (at least six feet), indoors and outdoors, even while wearing a mask.
- No non-college sanctioned gatherings of six or more.
- Complete a daily health and temperature check — and do so honestly.
- Report if you experience any COVID-19 symptoms or if you have come in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
- No off-campus visitors, including family.
- Hold each other accountable. Respectfully ask friends and classmates to put on their masks or distance themselves. Encourage each other to complete daily health checks.
Access to Facilities During Pause
- On-campus students may use the computer labs in Burrage Library, Roznowski Learning Commons, Mott 307 and MacKay. Students living in residence halls may also use the computer lab in their assigned dorm.
- Meetings with faculty or staff must be conducted via Zoom, phone or email.
- Fitness and workout facilities will be closed.
Residence Halls, Greek and Themed Housing and Apartments
- No individuals will be allowed in residence halls unless it is their assigned dorm. No visiting other residence halls, houses or apartments. Students should not temporarily move into a friend’s living quarter.
- Residents of the same hall may gather in another student’s room if all occupants wear masks, distance appropriately, and leave doors open.
- Students should continue to wash or sanitize their hands frequently, especially when they are not in their assigned rooms.
- For those using shared restrooms in residence halls, use only the restroom on the floor where you live.
- To minimize large groups of students gathering at mealtime, meals will be served as take-away only at the Kirk Center and Upton Student Recreation Center.
- Watch for communications from the Office of Student Engagement and signage regarding assigned meal locations.
- No dine-in service will be allowed.
- Students are encouraged to eat outside with friends while maintaining appropriate physical distancing. Students may take meals to their assigned rooms.
Student and Co-Curricular Activities
We want to do everything possible to foster safe ways for our students to connect with one another. Out of an abundance of caution and to protect the College community from further spread of the virus, the following proactive measures are effective immediately:
- Watch for emails from the Office of Student Engagement regarding activities that will continue.
- All high and moderate risk activities are temporarily suspended.
- All large social gatherings are temporarily suspended.
- Co-curricular practices and activities have been temporarily suspended.
- The wearing of a mask or face covering when in the presence of others and in settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain and when moving through shared spaces and common areas in a building will be enforced.
- The daily temperature and health check via the OC CARES CLEARPASS will be enforced.
- Registered student club, organization, and residence hall events should be virtual experiences until further notice.
- Students found responsible for hosting unsafe gatherings will face disciplinary actions.
We regret that for the health and safety of all, campus student employment is suspended until further notice. If you have questions, please contact your work supervisor.
Health and Self Care
- If you fail the daily screening process, feel sick or know you have been exposed to someone who is ill or who has tested positive for COVID-19, remain in your room. Call campus safety at 269-749-7911 for further guidance.
- The University of Olivet is committed to supporting your wellbeing during this unexpected move to remote instruction. A variety of emotional support, counseling and healthcare resources are available to you through the College’s Health and Wellness Center. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Important OC CARES Communication
- Modified Meal Service and Mail Service (Dr. Amy Radford-Popp, dean of student engagement)
If you have any questions or concerns related to your residential experience, please do not hesitate to email me. We are all in this fight together. Let’s take care of each other!
Amy Radford-Popp, Ph.D.
Dean of Student Engagement