August 7, 2020
Dear Students and Families,
The faculty, staff, administration and fellow Comets look forward to welcoming you back to campus! Whether you’re a first-year student or senior, a residential student or a commuter student, we want your Welcome Week and beyond to be fun and memorable with as little stress as possible.
This week’s communication covers the following topics that you’ll want to review before you arrive on campus.
- Move-In Directions and Reminders
- Welcome Week Schedule and Beyond
- Fall Semester Visitor Policy
- OC CARES Pledge
- Daily Health Screening Reminder
- Face Covering Reminder
Move-In Directions and Reminders
You must have a scheduled time to Move-In. If you have not signed up for a Move-In day, please email Jake Schuler, assistant dean of student engagement.
- Move-In is allowed only at your pre-scheduled time. Please do not arrive at a time you are not scheduled for without communicating with Jake Schuler in advance.
- Check-in is at the main entrance of Mott Academic Center. Please report here first; do not go to your residence hall until you are checked in.
- Only two students at a time will be allowed into Mott to check in. Please form a line practicing a safe distance of six feet between you and the people around you.
- You are the only person who may retrieve your room key — no other person will be given your key (including your parents).
- Enter Mott from the Main entrance, facing the Square. Do not attempt to enter through other doors. You will exit out the south doors (facing Shipherd Hall). Please read and adhere to all posted signs.
- The Mott restrooms will be closed.
- Students may bring a maximum of two helpers to assist with Move-In.
- Every person who enters a building or residence must wear a face mask/covering.
- Helpers must be free of COVID-19 symptoms (fever, cough and difficulty breathing).
- The College will not be able to provide cleaning supplies nor personal protective equipment for Move-In.
- Be Safe. Please avoid close contact and maintain the CDC-recommended six-foot distance from others who did not travel with you to campus. Wash and sanitize your hands often and cover coughs and sneezes with your elbow or a tissue. Do not come to campus if you are sick.
- The residential advisors, housekeeping and campus safety staff members will be practicing social distancing to prevent the spread of COVID-19 during Move-In. Staff will not be able to assist any student with Move-In.
Welcome Week and Beyond Calendar of Events
What’s college without some fun?! The Student Engagement team is busy planning a number of outdoor and virtual events for the fall semester, including Yoga in the Square, Cantina Online Gaming Night, Virtual Lip Sync Battle, S’mores and Social and more. The weekly events are a great way to meet new people, get out of your comfort zone, take a break from classes and studies and enjoy some laughs. Check out the full calendar of events. And be sure to watch for weekly emails from the Student Engagement team that list each week’s schedule of events.
OC CARES Campus Visitor Policy
In an effort to minimize the incidence and spread of COVID-19 during the 2020-2021 academic school year, we regret to confirm that outside visitors will not be permitted on campus. This includes family and dependents. Students enrolled in remote delivery courses will be allowed to participate in campus-sanctioned events. Non-campus sanctioned events of groups of six or more are prohibited in all campus buildings, including the dining hall, residence halls, apartments and Greek housing. If you have any questions about this policy, please email Dr. Amy Radford-Popp, dean of student engagement. Thank you for understanding the need for this policy.
Acceptance of the The University of Olivet CARES Pledge
While recognizing the College cannot guarantee a COVID-19-free campus, we ask everyone to pledge to help minimize the incidence and spread of COVID-19 and take responsibility for the following:
- Your own health.
- The protection of the health of others.
- The protection of our community from the spread of COVID-19.
To accept the pledge, log into MyOlivet and click on “Schedule.” You will be prompted to accept the pledge, the student handbook and the The University of Olivet Compact when you view or make changes to your class schedule. To review the pledge before logging into MyOlivet, click here. To review the full OC CARES plan, click here.
Have You Downloaded the OC CARES Health Screening App?
The University of Olivet has launched the OC CARES ClearPass screening app that enables you to confidentially update your required daily health status immediately and easily. A web-based version is also available.
- Click here for more information on the daily health check.
- Click here for instructions on downloading and using the app.
- Click here for the student web-based version of the app.
Be Sure to Mask Up
Don’t forget that face masks or coverings are required when in the presence of others and in settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain, such as common work spaces, meeting rooms, classrooms or when moving through shared spaces and common areas in a building. Face masks are also required outdoors when six- feet social distancing is difficult to maintain.
Continue to monitor your The University of Olivet email daily and check www.olivetcollege.edu/occares for new information.
This is not just another August. It’s a new opportunity, a new chance, a new beginning. Enjoy this time for all it’s worth! We are OLIVET!