Dear Students, Faculty and Staff,
We’re ready for you, we’re here for you and we’re thrilled to have you back on campus. Welcome home!
Unfortunately, the pandemic is not behind us. We must share in the responsibility to keep each other safe and healthy. The University of Olivet continues to monitor COVID-19 and Delta variant rates in Michigan and in our surrounding area. Protocols we put in place are to ensure your health and safety.
Please read this communication in its entirety to understand new expectations that will be in place, effective Friday, Aug. 13.
- Required Masking Expectations
- Reminder to Complete the Student Survey before your Move-In
- Five Reminders for this Fall
Masks Required, Effective Aug. 13
Please bring your mask(s) with you when you return to campus.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that the level of COVID-19 community transmission in Eaton County and surrounding counties has increased to “high.” Because the College puts you and your health first, a decision has been made to require masks for all students, faculty and staff, regardless of vaccination status, in indoor public spaces, effective Friday, Aug. 13.
What this Means to You
- All students and employees, whether fully vaccinated or unvaccinated, are REQUIRED to wear a mask in public indoor spaces in all campus buildings.
- Students and employees who do not abide by the masking mandate may face disciplinary action.
- Masking expectations will be updated regularly to reflect the most recent guidance from local, state and federal sources. Masking updates will be posted on campus monitors, on the website, Instagram and OC App and in weekly OC CARES communications.
Move-In Day Exception
- Those moving belongings to a room in a residence hall are allowed to temporarily remove their mask during the physical move-in process.
- Masks should be worn during the initial check-in process and until you have been approved to move into your dorm room.
- Students, employees and guests assisting with the move-in must wear a mask in all indoor public space in the residence hall and other buildings on campus after the move-in is complete.
What is a Public Indoor Space?
Below are examples of when masks must be worn. When in doubt, please put on a mask and ask.
- Residence Hall – common areas, including lobbies, game rooms, computer lounges, laundry rooms and hallways
- All buildings – classrooms and labs, reception areas, lobbies, hallways and stairwells
- Burrage Library and Roznowski Learning Commons
- Kirk Center and Starbucks Cafe – when not seated or eating and drinking
- Indoor social/student engagement events
- Public meeting or event when 6-feet physical distancing is not possible to maintain
Mask Not Required
- Private living space when alone, with a roommate or friends.
- When eating or drinking
- In a private office or meeting space where 6-feet physical distancing can be maintained and all parties agree to no masking
- When engaging in physical activity or exercise
Participation programs, athletics or internships may require different masking requirements depending on policies in place from outside governing bodies.
Thank you for being understanding, kind, flexible and patient with the masking requirement. By wearing a mask, you demonstrate what it means to be individually and socially responsible.
It is our hope that masks will not be necessary long-term. Future masking expectations will be updated in alignment with the CDC, MDHHS and BEDHD guidelines.
Required Student Survey Reminder
All students, residential and commuter, must complete the short online survey before returning to campus, indicating whether or not they are fully vaccinated. The College does not require the vaccine for students or employees.
The vaccination information gathered from the survey will only be accessed and used by the College’s authorized contact tracers should a student be identified as having come in close contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19. The information will not be shared with faculty or staff or any outside source for any reason. Thank you to all the students that have already completed the survey!
Steps to Complete the Survey
- Click here to log in to the MyOlivet portal. You must be logged in to the MyOlivet portal to complete the survey.
- Click on the Student Engagement tab at the top of the page.
- Next, click on the Residence Life tab on the left-hand side of the page.
- At the top right of the Residence Life page you will see “Fall 2021 Return to Campus Student Survey” under “Residence Life Forms.”
- If you are fully vaccinated, you will be prompted to upload a copy of your vaccination card.
- If you become fully vaccinated after your return to campus, please submit your vaccination card by completing the online survey again.
Five Reminders for this FAll
- Wear a mask in indoor public spaces until further notice.
- Wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds and utilize hand-sanitizing stations throughout buildings.
- Practice six-feet physical distancing when possible.
- If you do not feel well, stay at home, isolate and report any COVID-19 symptoms to Campus Safety immediately.
- HAVE FUN!
“If cauliflower can somehow become pizza…you, my friend, can do anything.”