Move-In for fall semester is just one week away! We eagerly await your return and look forward to a memorable fall semester. Thank you for continuing to read all OC CARES communications you receive leading up to your return to campus and throughout the fall semester.
This communication covers the following important topics:
- Students and Employees Should Wear Mask in Public Indoor Spaces on Campus
- Reminder to Complete the Required Student Survey
- Minimizing Exposure Within Our Campus Community: Reminders
- Have You Rolled Up Your Sleeve? (Vaccination Resources)
- COVID-19 Vaccine Education Resources
Students and Employees Should Wear Mask in Public Indoor Spaces on Campus
The University of Olivet continues to monitor COVID-19 and Delta variant rates in Michigan and in our surrounding area. We prioritize and implement mitigation strategies that put your health and safety at the forefront.
The Barry-Eaton District Health Department (BEDHD) is closely monitoring the CDC published COVID-spread data for each county. As a result of the rising spread of the virus in our surrounding counties, BEDHD is recommending that all people, vaccinated and unvaccinated, wear a mask in public indoor spaces.
- Based on the BEDHD recommendation, the College is electing to adjust its masking expectations on campus to align with the new guidance.
- WHAT THIS MEANS TO YOU: All students and employees, including those fully vaccinated, should wear a mask in public indoor spaces in all campus buildings.
- Please bring your mask(s) with you when you return to campus.
Currently, the College only requests that all students and employees wear masks in public indoor spaces; additional masking expectations (such as a potential masking mandate) will be updated in alignment with BEDHD guidelines. Masking may be required for participation programs, athletics or internships depending on policies in place from outside governing bodies. Continue to watch for OC CARES communications for any changes to the College’s guidelines.
What About Masking in Private Spaces?
If a faculty, staff member or student shares their personal story and asks that you wear a mask in their presence even in a private space, such as an office or dorm room, we hope that you will consider our commitment to Individual and Social Responsibility and respect their request. Members of our community have health issues, a loved one at home with health issues or young children unable to be vaccinated at this time and worry about taking the COVID-19 virus home with them. Thank you for being understanding, kind, flexible and thoughtful when responding to a request that you wear a mask.
May I Wear My Mask at All Times?
If you are most comfortable wearing a mask at all times, we encourage you do to so. We want you to feel safe and welcome when you are on campus.
Required Student Survey Reminder
Please complete the short online survey that is required of all residential and commuter students before returning to campus. The survey asks whether or not you are fully vaccinated.
The College is not requiring the vaccine for students or employees. The vaccination information gathered from the survey will only be accessed and used by the College’s authorized contract tracers, should a student be identified as having come in close contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19. The information will not be shared with faculty or staff or any outside source for any reason.
Steps to Complete the Survey
- Click here to log in to the MyOlivet portal. You must be logged in to the MyOlivet portal to complete the survey.
- Click on the Student Engagement tab at the top of the page.
- Next, click on the Residence Life tab on the left-hand side of the page.
- At the top right of the Residence Life page you will see “Fall 2021 Return to Campus Student Survey” under “Residence Life Forms.”
- If you are fully vaccinated, you will be prompted to upload a copy of your vaccination card.
- If you become fully vaccinated after your return to campus, please submit your vaccination card by completing the online survey again.
Minimizing Exposure Within Our Campus Community: Reminders
- Wear a mask in indoor public spaces on campus and off campus.
- Wash hands frequently for at least 20 seconds and utilize hand-sanitizing stations throughout buildings.
- Practice physical distancing when possible.
- If you do not feel well, stay at home, isolate and report any COVID-19 symptoms to Campus Safety.
Have You Rolled Up Your Sleeve?
If you’re not vaccinated, we encourage you to do so if possible before you return to campus.
- For vaccination sites near you, simply text your zip code to 438829. A service of the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, you’ll even be asked if you need to schedule a free ride or if you need childcare!
- The College will provide an opportunity for an on-campus vaccination clinic early in the fall semester. Please watch for communication from OC CARES announcing a time and date.
- Olivet Pharmacy, at 116 N. Main St., provides COVID-19 vaccinations by walk-in or appointment.
- The COVID-19 vaccination is FREE, regardless of where you choose to be vaccinated.
COVID-19 Vaccine Education Resources
It’s normal to be cautious when something new comes along. Getting informed about COVID-19 vaccines is an important step to help you understand how the vaccination works and how it will help stop this pandemic. We encourage you to continue researching and asking questions about the benefits of the COVID-19 vaccination.
- Michigan residents seeking more information about the COVID-19 vaccine can visit Michigan.gov/COVIDvaccine.
- Click here for CDC information, including myths and facts, benefits of the vaccine, effectiveness, possible side effects and more.
- Click here for answers to your questions from the COVID-19 Vaccine Education Initiative, led by the Ad Council and the COVID Collaborative with the involvement of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
“Do things for people not because of who they are or what they do in return, but because of who you are.” — Rabbi Laureate Harold Kushner