Dear Students, Staff and Faculty,
Kudos to you! You have persevered through the remote instruction period, and now it’s time to return to the classroom on Monday, Oct. 12. Your resiliency and tenacity have made this possible. Because of you, we are fighting the spread of COVID-19 and flattening the curve, but we must continue to work together.
This week’s communication covers the following topics:
1. Welcome Back to the Classroom on Monday, Oct. 12!
2. Michigan Supreme Court Ruling
3. Reminder to Complete your Daily Health Check
4. Meal Service Reminder
5. Help Stop the Spread – What You Can Do
6. Updates to the Pandemic Response Plan
In-person Classes Resume on Monday, Oct. 12
- In-person classes will resume for your F2F and hybrid courses.
- Online courses will continue as usual.
- The housekeeping staff will continue to disinfect all public areas and classrooms daily, with a priority for high-touch surfaces (e.g., door handles, classroom desks and tables) and for shared equipment.
- Wear a face mask or cover that fits around your nose, mouth and chin.
- Be prepared to show that you’ve completed and passed the OC CARES CLEAR PASS daily health check.
Michigan Supreme Court Ruling – What this Means for The University of Olivet
As you may have seen, the Michigan Supreme Court recently ruled against the governor’s Executive Orders in place to protect the State of Michigan against COVID-19. On Oct. 5, the Director of the Department of Health and Human Services issued an order under the Public Health Code to address the expiring state Executive Orders.
What does this mean for The University of Olivet? It simply means we will continue to follow the guidance of the CDC and the Public Health Code that still requires the use of face coverings in all business, schools, government office and social gatherings.
OC CARES Clear Pass
When on campus at any time, students, faculty and staff must complete a health and temperature screening using the OC CARES app that includes the following:
- Monitoring of COVID-19, including fever of 100.4 or higher, new or worsening dry cough, shortness of breath/difficulty breathing, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of taste or smell.
- Notifying the College if you have been in contact with someone suspected of a COVID-19 infection or someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
- Notifying the College if your health status changes during the day after passing a daily health check.
- Students must show their daily “clear pass” (via mobile app or email) to any faculty or staff member who asks to see that the daily screening has been completed.
- Students, faculty or staff who refuse to complete the daily health and temperature check screening when on campus may face disciplinary action.
Meal Service Reminder
The Kirk Center will continue to serve carry out meals only. In addition, Breakfast Boxes are available during brunch and dinner hours. If you have class during your suggested meal time, do not hesitate to go at the time that works best for you. See below for the brunch and dinner schedules.
- 11:30 a.m. – Long Apartments, Shipherd Hall First Floor, Blair Hall First Floor, Gillette Student Village Apartments, Greek and theme houses (other than Adelphic)
- 12:10 p.m. – Adelphic, Shipherd Hall Second Floor, Blair Hall Second Floor and Dole Hall Second Floor
- 12:50 p.m. – Shipherd Hall Third Floor, Blair Hall Third Floor, Dole Hall Third Floor and Oak Hill Apartments
- 4:30 p.m. – Long Apartments, Shipherd Hall First Floor, Blair Hall First Floor, Gillette Student Village Apartments, Greek and theme houses (other than Adelphic)
- 5:10 p.m. – Adelphic, Shipherd Hall Second Floor, Blair Hall Second Floor and Dole Hall Second Floor
- 5:50 p.m. – Shipherd Hall Third Floor, Blair Hall Third Floor, Dole Hall Third Floor and Oak Hill Apartments
Help Stop the Spread — What You Can Do
Do your part and set an example for others. Continue to follow these important guidelines:
- Wear a mask at all times when not in your private living space.
- Socially distance at least six feet.
- Complete the daily health and temperature check using the OC CARES CLEAR PASS.
- Report if you experience any COVID-19 symptoms or come in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
- Not have off-campus visitors, including family.
- All events must be registered and approved by the Office of Student Engagement and all guidelines must be followed.
Updates to the Pandemic Response Plan
Once again, thank you for taking care of yourself, the Comet family and the greater Olivet community. Your efforts are meaningful and appreciated — you have allowed the College to return to the classroom as planned on Oct. 12. Keep up the great work and go COMETS!