As I noted in my communication to you yesterday, we have experienced an increase in positive COVID cases within the The University of Olivet campus community. Out of an abundance of caution to protect our community, all classes will move to remote instruction for a 14-day period, beginning Monday, September 28. There will be NO in-person classes during this period.
- Residential students may remain on campus.
- Classes will continue remotely for 14 days.
- Measures outlined below and in subsequent communications will be enforced.
- Temporary suspension of all high and moderate risk activities.
- Temporary suspension of all large social gatherings.
- Temporary suspension of all co-curricular activities and practices.
- Temporary suspension of student employment.
- Expanded and assigned meal service locations and suspension of in-dining options.
- Continued expectation of the wearing of a mask or face covering.
- Continued expectation of the daily temperature and health check via the OC CARES CLEARPASS.
- Continued prohibition of visitors on campus, including family.
- All non-essential employees will shift to remote work, where effective.
What You Should Know
The College is working with the Barry-Eaton District Health Department to identify those who need to isolate or quarantine. The OC CARES dashboard has been updated to reflect the latest cases. As of Sept. 25, the College has 17 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 95 individuals are in quarantine. One recent The University of Olivet student case was exposed to COVID-19 through an off-campus individual who was positive for COVID-19. As additional positive cases were identified, the College worked with the public health department staff to investigate and identify close contacts. Those individuals impacted have been forthcoming in sharing information with contact tracers.
What You Can Do
This virus is not easy to beat; we must work together if we are to contain it. While we cannot guarantee a COVID-19-free campus, we can help stop the spread. As part of the OC CARES Pledge, we all agree to:
- Wear a mask at all times when not in our private living space.
- Socially distance.
- Complete a daily health and temperature check.
- Report if you experience any COVID-19 symptoms or come in contact with someone who as tested positive for COVID-19.
- Not have off-campus visitors, including family, on campus.
- Not have non-college sanctioned gatherings of six or more.
It is imperative that you read all communications from OC CARES, including the following communications coming this evening.
- Students — Temporary Transition to Remote Instruction (Dr. Karen Chaney, dean of faculty)
- Students — Modified Student and Residential Life Expectations (Dr. Amy Radford-Popp, dean of student engagement)
- Students — Meal Service and Mail Service (The Office of Student Engagement/Chartwells)
- Faculty and Staff — Temporary Transition to Remote Instruction (Dr. Karen Chaney, dean of faculty)
- Faculty and Staff — Staff Work Expectations (Terri Glasgow, director of human resources)
For your health and the health of others, please observe health protocols and avoid behavior that puts you and others at risk. Let’s show others what it truly means to be Olivetians.
Steven M. Corey, Ph.D.