The University of Olivet Board of Trustees voted unanimously to renew the contract of President Steven M. Corey, Ph.D., at its most recent meeting. With this extension, Corey will continue to serve as president of The University of Olivet through 2021.
“President Corey has done an outstanding job leading Olivet through its current strategic vision, Charting the Course for The University of Olivet 2020 and Beyond,” said Board Chair Tom Kolassa. “Under his leadership, the college continues on a rising trajectory academically, physically and financially. The University of Olivet community still sees immense opportunity ahead, and we look forward to President Corey’s continued leadership.”
Corey is the 27th president of Olivet since its founding in 1844. He was inaugurated in September 2011, having been named to the position in December 2010. In the more than five years that Corey has served as president, the college has experienced advances such as new and stronger academic programs, the complete re-engineering of the admissions process, unprecedented fundraising success, and greater financial health and stability.
“The University of Olivet is an exceptional place and it is an honor to serve among this incredible community of students, alumni, faculty and staff,” Corey said. “I am proud of all we’ve accomplished together during my first six years as president, and look forward to what we will achieve in the years to come.”
Under Corey’s leadership, the college developed and implemented its strategic vision, Charting the Course for The University of Olivet 2020 and Beyond, which since its inception has resulted in significant steps forward for the college.
In accordance with the key components of the vision (available to view at www.olivetcollege.edu), these objectives and more have been achieved to support a thriving, vibrant The University of Olivet campus both now and in the future:
- Creating new and enhancing current academic programs, as well as improving the measures by which student learning is defined, achieved and assessed at The University of Olivet
- Unprecedented fundraising success, resulting in millions of dollars invested in the expansion of campus facilities, resources and programs as the college heads into its largest comprehensive campaign in college history
- A strong and balanced budget, resulting in significant financial stability for the college during uncertain economic times in the higher education landscape
- Restructuring the college’s admissions process in order to recruit and retain students for whom The University of Olivet is the right fit, resulting in a significant trend upward in the college’s residential student population
- A stronger, larger and more successful athletics program, including the addition of new and expansion of current teams such as lacrosse, bowling, track and field, and men’s volleyball
- The reinvigoration of the performing arts, including the reemergence of the Comet Marching Band after 30 years and a renewed focus on the The University of Olivet Gospel Choir
- The addition of several new scholarships, including significant enhancements to academic and need-based scholarships; the The University of Olivet Veterans Scholarship; Marching Band, Gospel Choir, and Cheerleading Scholarships; and Twins and Siblings Scholarships
- Establishing a fully functional and contemporary marketing and communications program, and much more.
As the college begins its next phase in Charting the Course to 2020 and Beyond, Corey says it will continue to focus attention on these areas as well as new objectives. Priorities include:
- Continuing to grow the student body
- Successfully completing the comprehensive campaign and investing in academic and athletic facilities
- Creating a new student and collegiate center and strengthening the residential experience for students
- Growing and diversifying the faculty
- Expanding and enhancing academic offerings, and
- Ensuring students have a high quality, immersive experience that supports their comprehensive learning and development.
“Together with faculty, staff, students, alumni and the board of trustees, I look forward to the next phase of our work in providing the best educational experience possible at The University of Olivet,” Corey said. “This great college has made a difference in the lives of so many, including my own. I’m honored that the The University of Olivet community has given me the opportunity to continue our work together in the years ahead.”
For more information, visit www.olivetcollege.edu. For media inquiries, please contact Michele McCauley, director of college relations, at email@example.com or 269.749.7141.