This week’s OC CARES message includes details on notable changes to on-campus COVID-19 testing days and hours. A number of important reminders are also included in this communication.
As we enter year two of the pandemic, there is little justification for members of the The University of Olivet community to say, “I didn’t know” about the OC CARES Pandemic Response Plan, protocols, mandates and resources. Please read this and all OC CARES messages in full so that you don’t miss anything that directly impacts you. This is where you will find updates to the College’s Pandemic Response Plan, protocols and mandates.
- COVID-19 Testing Available for Students on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
- The 6 Steps to Take if You Exhibit Symptoms of COVID-19
- FREE OC COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster Clinics, Feb. 11 and March 3
- Have You Ordered Your FREE COVID-19 At-Home Test Kit?
- Off Campus Resources: Testing and Vaccination Clinic
COVID-19 Testing Available for Students on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
COVID-19 testing for students who are on campus and require a test will now be available at the Health & Wellness Center (HWC), Mott 212A, weekly on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Testing is by appointment only. The residential life team will work with students to arrange testing on one of these three days. In addition, home testing or other off-campus testing is an option if preferred or for days of the week when the HWC is not open for testing. Important: The College will not reimburse students for any off-campus testing fees. (See OC CARES Pandemic Response Plan, page 4.)
- Students MUST contact Campus Safety (269-749-7911) FIRST if you experience COVID-19 symptoms, regardless of the day of the week.
- Do not go to class, athletic practice or competitions, work or campus activities.
- Return to your home, residence hall or stay in your room.
- A campus representative will contact you to assist in securing a COVID test at the Health & Wellness Center (Monday, Wednesday, Friday). Home testing or other off-campus testing is an option if preferred or for days of the week when the HWC is not open for testing. Important: The College will not reimburse students for any off-campus testing fees. (See OC CARES Pandemic Response Plan, page 4.)
- Students are to remain in their room or will be moved to a designated location until testing can be arranged.
- If you test positive for COVID-19 you are required to isolate and report your status immediately. (See OC CARES Pandemic Response Plan, page 5.)
Save the Dates: FREE COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster Clinics
- When: Feb. 11 and March 3
- Time: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Where: Upton Gym
- Who: Any student, faculty or staff member
An appointment is not required, however, scheduling in advance will save you time and allow for the Barry Eaton District Health Department to approximate the number of vaccinations needed for the day. Click here to find the The University of Olivet vaccine clinic dates and vaccination schedule. If scheduling your appointment in advance you will be asked which vaccine you prefer and if this is your first or second shot or a booster.
Pfizer and Moderna Shots Will Be Offered
- The Pfizer and Moderna vaccinations are administered in two parts and require that you return on March 3 for a follow-up shot.
- Click here to learn about the Pfizer and Moderna vaccinations.
It is also important that you stay up to date on your protection against the virus by getting a booster shot when eligible.
- Pfizer: At least 5 months after your second shot.
- Moderna: At least 5 months after your second shot.
- Johnson & Johnson: At least 2 months after your shot. Good news: You are eligible to receive the Pfizer or Moderna booster shot.
- If you are receiving a booster shot, be sure to bring your COVID-19 vaccination card.
Have You Ordered Your FREE COVID-19 At-Home Test Kit?
Every home in the U.S. is now eligible to order four FREE FDA-authorized at-home COVID-19 tests. The tests will be shipped by the U.S. Postal Service generally within 7-12 days after you place your order. The goal is by having home tests available at any time, we can all help mitigate the spread of COVID-19. By testing early and within the confines of our home, we will lessen the spread of the virus.
Click here to order your free COVID-19 tests.
- We encourage you and your family to order your test kit now so you have them when the need arises. (See below: “When Should You Take a Test.”)
- Have the tests shipped to your permanent residence to ensure you receive them.
- If additional tests are needed and you have health insurance, your insurance will also cover the cost of over-the-counter, at-home tests you purchase at a store (up to 8 at-home tests per month for each person on the insurance plan).
When Should You Take a Test
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that you take an at-home test:
- If you begin having COVID-19 symptoms like fever, sore throat, runny nose, or loss of taste or smell, or
- At least five days after you come into close contact with someone with COVID-19, or
- When you’re going to gather with a group of people, especially those who are at risk of severe disease or may not be up to date on their COVID-19 vaccines, such as before and after spring break trips where you will be interacting with large groups of people.
Reminder: Students MUST call Campus Safety at 269-749-7911 FIRST and immediately to report any of the following:
- You have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19; or
- You experience any of the COVID-19 symptoms listed in the OC CARES Pandemic Response Plan.
Statewide COVID-19 Testing and Vaccination Resources
A number of COVID-19 testing and vaccination sites can be found in communities across the state. Click below to find an off-campus testing or vaccination site.
TIP: When choosing a testing or vaccination site, consider the location, hours, if appointments are required and if the location is in a highly populated area. You can be tested or vaccinated at any location in any city.
Click here to find a COVID-19 testing site.
Click here to find a COVID-19 vaccination site.
“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.” — Bruce Lee, martial artist, actor and philosopher