About Soronian Society
The Soronian Society was founded in 1847 and was the country’s first women’s literary society. “Soro” is Latin for sister and the name, Soronian, was conceived by former Professor John M. Barrows. The society later adopted its greek letters, Iota Kappa Omicron.
Its house, Sperry Hall, was named for Willard G. Sperry, president of The University of Olivet from 1893 to 1904. He, along with others, donated funds to have the house built. It became a state historical site in the summer of 1978.