About Adelphic Alpha Pi
Founded on December 15, 1862, at the height of the Civil War a group of Olivet students came together to found a literary society open to all men regardless of their race or socioeconomic background. The original name was Clever Fellows but in 1865 it was changed to Adelphic.
The Adelphic Literary Society was the first Greek organization on the The University of Olivet campus to build its own house and was dedicated at Commencement on June 18, 1890. During the spring and summer of 1889, members donated their time to haul field stones and dig the basement foundation by hand.
Adelphic’s original sister house was Soronian. Since the 1930s, its sister house has been Sigma Beta.
Currently, most members of Adelphic are members of the The University of Olivet football and baseball teams. Alumni include Dr. Hiram Archer, the University’s first documented student of color who attended in the 1880s and was one of the first African American college athletes in the nation, and David “Dave” Cutler ’65, who is revered throughout the computer industry for developing several commercial operating systems, including Microsoft Windows NT.